Sunday, August 3, 2014

Ebola and God's Laws of Health

I have to admit that if I didn't believe in an all-powerful God, I might go crazy with worry over this Ebola situation. As it is, I have to remind myself sometimes that God is in control, and that good will come out of whatever happens, no matter how bad it seems to be at the time.

Yet when I research Ebola on Wikipedia, I find that it is transmitted to humans through the bodily fluids of infected animals, such as bat or monkey, and then to other humans. "So? What's the big deal?" you might ask. (And that is a logical question, by the way). Well, I know folks probably can contract it from touching the carcass and getting fluid on them. I know for a fact that they contract it from eating these things too.

I know, where am I going with this, right? (Unless you figured it out from the title). God has specified in the Bible certain foods as clean and certain foods as unclean. Many of you, like I used to, probably think that those are just Jewish ceremonial laws and were done away with at the cross. Because of that, I will address some of these claims briefly before continuing with this in relation to Ebola.


  • Aren't those laws just for the Jews? Well, let us see. The first mention made of this distinction was in Genesis 7:2, when God was instructing Noah about the animals to go on the ark. In Noah's day there were no Jews.

  • What about when Jesus said it wasn't what went into you that mattered, but what came out? Matthew 15:11 is where that idea is found. If you look at verses  1-2, you will see the main issue. "Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees which were of Jerusalem, saying, Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread." The issue was handwashing, not what you ate. Jesus makes this clear when He ends His answer in verse 20. "These are the things which defile a man," He said, after listing several sins, "but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man."

  • What about Peter's vision? The conclusion that Peter's vision did away with the food laws might seem logical, but only if you don't read before or after. Before the vision, the centurion Cornelius was told in a vision of his own to send for Peter (see Acts 10:1-5). Then Peter had the vision with the sheet, and one of the main things said was: "What God hath cleansed that call not thou common." This was done three times (see Acts 10:11-16). After Peter's vision,  the Bible says: "Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate," (v. 17). Once he had greeted Cornelius, Peter explained how up to this time it had been unlawful for Jews to associate with non-Jews, but God had showed him that "I should not call any man common or unclean." (v. 28). This is reiterated in chapter 11, when people gave him trouble for eating with uncircumcised people (see vv. 1-11). The issue was people, not food.

There are many other passages that I could talk about, but for the sake of length, I won't. Suffice it to say, the Bible cannot contradict itself, and if read as though each thought were links in a chain, with prayer for God's guidance, you'll arrive at the right conclusion.

With all that addressed, we see that the laws are still binding. Leviticus and Deuteronomy give clear information in regards to animals that are OK for food and those that are not. The bat is condemned by name in both books (see Lev. 11:19, Deut. 14:18). While the monkey is not specifically mentioned, those beasts that didn't divide the hoof, chew the cud, and those that went on all fours, were off limits (see Lev. 11:26-27).

Not only were there laws about what not to eat, but there were also laws on what to do if you touched the carcass of an unclean animal. You were unclean until the evening. If you carried such a carcass, you were as well, and you had to wash your clothes. If a carcass fell into a vessel of wood, skins, sacks, clothes, or other vessels, it was to be put in water till the evening, when it would be clean once more. If it was an earthen (most likely meaning clay) vessel, it was to be broken. Ovens or pots that dead unclean animals touched were to be taken apart. (see vv. 31-35). There are other things further on in the chapter as well.

God is a God of intelligence, of purpose, of good intentions. He doesn't make silly, useless laws. Whatever He ordains has a reason behind it. God desires us to be healthy and happy. While I don't believe the sacrificial laws apply now (because they were just a shadow of the sacrifice Jesus was to make), I believe these still do. I believe they are there to promote our well-being.

This is especially evident to me when I see and hear about Ebola. If people didn't eat these animals and properly disposed of their dead bodies, I don't believe we would even have this problem. Don't misunderstand me; I know people are already infected, and that doing these things will not save them, or anyone they happen to infect. But implementing these measures will prevent anyone else from getting it after this epidemic is under control.

Just my musings for the time being. Something to think about.

Jean

Please note: For further study on Biblical health laws (or any other Bible topic), visit www.amazingfacts.org

2 comments:

  1. I got to agree with you Jean. The issue about meat eating will always be argued. Personally, I tend to base my decisions on the effects meat eating has on the body especially the mind. I do eat it from time to time, but I have cut down drastically and will eventually completely one day. :) But I strongly believe that the Spirit alone can bring conviction to a person to desist from the practice or not...
    But I totally accept your stance and your references are on target,

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! The Holy Spirit is the only one that can bring conviction; without His power nothing we say or do will do any good. GOD bless you in your quest to improve your diet as well. :)

      Delete